5 kg deep
basted turkey, thawed if frozen, giblet bag removed
fresh white or brown breadcrumbs
cooking dates, chopped
prunes, weight after stoning, washed, soaked overnight, chopped
50 g dried
apricots, washed, soaked overnight, chopped
blanched almonds, skinned, lightly toasted, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 grade 2
- Wash turkey inside and out under
cold, running water.
- Wipe dry with kitchen paper.
- Set oven to moderate 350F, Gas 4.
- For stuffing, tips crumbs into a
- Add fruit, almonds and salt.
- Bind with egg and sherry.
- Pack into neck end of turkey.
- Stand on rack in large roasting
tin and brush with melted fat.
- Roast 3-3.5 hours or until juices
run clear when thickest part of the thigh is punctured with a fine
- If breast is darkening too much,
cover with foil for the last 1/2 to 3/4 hour of roasting.
- Uncover and leave turkey to stand
10-15 minutes before carving as this gives flesh a chance to firm up
and stops the breast meat from crumbling.
If using same stuffing for a chicken,
halve all the amounts.
Serves 12 - 14
Get the above cooking ingredients here at discounted price