coarse sea salt
crushed black peppercorns
salmon, filleted and boned but with the
skin left on
vodka or brandy
very finely chopped fresh dill
chopped fresh dill
- Combine the sugar, salt and
crushed black peppercorns in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove any stray bones from the
salmon fillets with tweezers.
- Pat dry with paper towels and lay
one fillet skin-side-down in a shallow tray or baking dish.
- SPrinkle with half the vodka or
brandy, rub half the sugar mixture into the flesh, then sprinkle
with half of the dill.
- Sprinkle the remaining vodka over
the second salmon fillet and rub the remaining sugar mixture into
- Lay it flesh-side down on top of
the dill-coated salmon.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place
a heavy board on top.
- Weigh this down well with 3 heavy
cans or a foil-covered brick.
- Refrigerate the salmon for 24
hours, turning the wrapped fillets over after 12 hours.
- To make the mustard sauce, whisk
together the cider vinegar, caster sugar, olive oil, fresh dill and
Dijon mustard in a small bowl, then cover until needed.
- When the salmon is ready, take off
the weights and remove the plastic wrap.
- Lift off the top fillet and lay
both fillets on a wooden serving board.
- Brush off all the dill and any
seasoning mixture with a stiff pastry brush.
- Sprinkle the fillets with the
remaining fresh dill, pressing it onto the salmon flesh, then shake
off any excess.
- Serve the salmon whole, on the
- You will need a very sharp knife
with a flexible blade to serve the gravlax - a filleting knife is
- Thinly sliced on an angle towards
the tail, and serve with the mustard sauce and pumpernickel or dark
This Swedish specialty of raw salmon,
cured in a mixture of salt, sugar and dill, is a much prized dish dating
back to medieval times. It is often served, sliced paper thin, on dark
bread such as rye or pumpernickel, as an appetizer. Gravlax can be
purchased from gourmet markets or specialty fish markets. It can be
stored, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap for up to one week.
#Ads - Get the above cooking ingredients here at discounted price