Meat and Vegetable Pie Cooking Recipe
Meat and Vegetable Pie Cooking Recipes
6 oz ready-made short crust pastry
milk, to glaze
3 tbsp vegetable oil or dripping
8 oz braising steak, cut into thin strips
1 onion, chopped
1 potato, diced
4 oz Swede, diced
1 large carrot, sliced
3 oz parsnip, diced
1 stick celery, sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato puree
15 fl oz beef stock
dash of Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
- To make the filling, heat the oil
or dripping in a pan and fry the meat and vegetables for 5 minutes,
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1
minute, stir in the tomato puree and stock, and season with
Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
- Mix well, then cover and cook
gently for 60-75 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender and
- Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190C Gas Mark
- On a lightly floured surface, roll
out the pastry 2 in wider than a 1.2 liter pie dish.
- Cut a 1 in wide strip from the
- Dampen the rim of the dish and
place the pastry strip on it.
- Spoon the meat and vegetable
mixture into the dish.
- Lift the remaining pastry on the
rolling pin and lay it over the pie dish.
- Press the lid lightly on to the
rim to seal.
- Scallop the edges, if wished.
- Roll out the pastry trimmings and
use to decorate the pie.
- Brush with beaten egg and cut a
slit in the centre to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until golden
- Serve hot or cold.
Get the above cooking ingredients here at discounted price
More Irish Recipes
101 Cooking Recipes |
Blog All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |