Beef and Rice Noodle Soup Recipes
Soup Accompaniments :
oxtail, cut into pieces
stalks lemon grass, chopped
large piece fresh root ginger, peeled
whole star anise
cinnamon stick (optional)
flat rice noodles, soaked in hot water for
10 minutes, then drained
sirloin beef steak, cut into small paper
cucumber, thinly shredded
lettuce leaves, shredded
onion, thinly sliced
small red chilies, seeded and chopped
limes, cut into wedges
fresh mint, basil and coriander leaves
- Trim off as much excess fat from oxtail as
- Place pieces in a large pt, add lemon grass,
ginger, onion, star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick, if using.
- Add 2 liters water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer oxtail for at least 21/2
hours, skimming the surface occasionally to remove scum.
- Strain stock and discard oxtail and flavoring
ingredients (the meat from the bones can be used for another dish).
- Add sugar, salt, and fish sauce to clear stock,
bring back to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- (At this stage, stock can be cooled and
refrigerated for 1-2 days, if wished. Fat can be removed from
surface and stock reheated ready for use).
- Arrange soup accompaniments on a serving platter.
- Place a portion of rice noodles in each of 4-6
large individual serving bowls.
- Bring beef broth to a rolling boil.
- Place a few slices of beef steak on top of
noodles and pour in boiling broth to fill the bowls about three
- Bring them to the table.
- Each person takes a small amount of bean sprouts,
cucumber, lettuce, onion, chilies and herbs and places them on top
of the noodles, with a squeeze of lime or more seasonings as
This is almost a meal on its own, and
traditionally ma be eaten as breakfast, lunch or as a snack at any time
#Ads - Get the above cooking ingredients here at discounted price